1) It was a queer, sultry summer, the summer they electrocuted the Rosenbergs, and I didn’t know what I was doing in New York.
THE BELL JAR by SYLVIA PLATH
2) It was a pleasure to burn.
FAHRENHEIT 451 by RAY BRADBURY
3) To the red country and part of the gray country of Oklahoma, the last rains came gently, and they did not cut the scarred earth.
THE GRAPES OF WRATH by JOHN STEINBECK
4) Many years later, as he faced the firing squad, Colonel Aureliano Buendía was to remember that distant afternoon when his father took him to discover ice.
ONE HUNDRED YEARS OF SOLITUDE by GABRIEL GARCIA MARQUEZ
5) It is a truth universally acknowledged that a single man in possession of a good fortune must be in want of a wife.
PRIDE AND PREJUDICE by JANE AUSTEN
6) In the town, there were two mutes and they were always together.
THE HEART IS A LONELY HUNTER by CARSON MCCULLERS
7) If you really want to hear about it, the first thing you’ll probably want to know is where I was born, and what my lousy childhood was like, and how my parents were occupied and all before they had me, and all that David Copperfield kind of crap, but I don’t feel like going into it, if you want to know the truth.
THE CATCHER IN THE RYE by J.D. SALINGER
8) It was a bright cold day in April, and the clocks were striking thirteen.
1984 by GEORGE ORWELL
9) As Gregor Samsa awoke one morning from uneasy dreams he found himself transformed in his bed into a gigantic insect.
THE METAMORPHOSIS by FRANZ KAFKA
10) Happy families are all alike. Every unhappy family is unhappy in its own way.
ANNA KARENINA by LEO TOLSTOY
11) Who is John Galt?
ATLAS SHRUGGED by AYN RAND
12) Stately, plump Buck Mulligan came from the stairhead, bearing a bowl of lather on which a mirror and a razor lay crossed.
ULYSSES by JAMES JOYCE
13) It was love at first sight. The first time Yossarian saw the chaplain he fell madly in love with him.
CATCH-22 by JOSEPH HELLER
14) In my younger and more vulnerable years my father gave me some advice I’ve been turning over in my mind ever since.
THE GREAT GATSBY by F. SCOTT FITZGERALD
AND THE WINNER IS:
Jordan Friedman. Congratulations! Your gift certificate to Community Books will be mailed to you. Thanks for playing, and thanks for coming by the Hundred Story House.